Live Workshop (July 19)
Subscribe to a membership plan for full access to this show and learning resources!
07/19/2023 10:00 am (PST)
In this Live Workshop, John will be teaching a live lesson while you ask him questions.
We’re excited to invite you to this month’s workshop where we’ll be exploring how to accompany in a band setting on the song, “Girl From Ipanema.” The workshop will be cover the following lessons:
- Lesson 1: Lead Sheet Melody: you will learn the melody, root position 7th chords, and chord progression analysis.
- Lesson 2: Band Accompanying With Open Voicing 7th Chords: you will learn open position 2-hand voicings with added chord extensions for color.
- Lesson 3: Band Accompanying With 4-Note Quartal Voicings: you will learn 2-hand quartal voicings with added chord alterations for color and good voice leading.
- Lesson 4: Band Accompanying With Left-Hand Rootless Voicings: you will learn how to play 4-note rootless voicings in your left hand in a bossa rhythm while adding melodic fills in your right hand.
- Lesson 5: Accompanying Intro and Ending: you will learn how to play a vamp intro and ending that is typical in bossa nova tunes.
- Lesson 6: Putting It All Together: we will put all of the techniques we learned into a final arrangement that includes an intro, melody, accompanying a solo, and ending.
This workshop will be a lot of fun, so we hope to see you there!
Questions? Click here to learn more about our PWJ Live Shows.
Office Hours are an opportunity to get interactive feedback from a professional piano coach!
“Member Circle” is a zoom meeting led by a Community Leader where students will have the opportunity to share their breakthrough moments with each other and discuss a particular theme.
In September, we released 4 new Courses, 4 Quick Tips, 6 Smart Sheets, 11 Backing Tracks, and more!